Wednesday 18 March 2015

Spring Sunshine Pots

A while ago I went into a shop in Edinburgh to buy a handbag and came out with a new 'pattern maker' for my pots.  It's a large wooden indian textiles printing block - to add to my growing collection!  One impression of the block makes the four by four pattern you see here.

clay slab with pattern impressed into it
I was initially drawn to it because of its patchwork of squares, which fits neatly into my designs.  But it also has an African feel to it, which I liked.

glazed and fired in oranges and yellows

But once I had glazed it in glorious oranges and yellows, I realised that I had created some much needed sunshine!  Eight little yellows suns, to be precise.

The finished piece - www.catherinedanielceramics.com

It's a simple design, but I am pleased with the effect.  
corner detail with flower border


Am not sure that Spring has really sprung yet up here in the wilds of the North.  There are a few lambs about and the odd Daffodil has come into flower, but it feels like it'll be a few weeks yet.

Chicken and Trinket Dish made with same pattern

In fact, yesterday was pretty much the colour of the slate tile in the above picture - ALL DAY!  Sometimes you have to make your own sunshine!

(Oh, and yes, going back to the first sentence, I did get the handbag too!  Of course!).

Edinburgh is full of shops where you go in for one thing and come out with half a dozen others.  Things you just never knew you 'needed' til you saw them.  Please say I'm not the only one....

x Cathy



12 comments:

  1. The alternate squares could almost be bees too. Lovely 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens to me everytime I go shopping :) I have a couple of lovely little Indian blocks, an elephant and a dragon. I hadn't even considered the idea of impressing them into clay. I might try it on air drying clay. They would make lovely little hanging tags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother once went out for a coat and came back with an armchair!

    I like that new press. It creates a charming effect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous effect, and fab sunshiny colours. So glad you got the handbag too.......! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful spring colours and that woodblock design is lovely. I'm so pleased you got the handbag too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not. Edinburgh is full of temptations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very effective block and love those colours. Hope you're getting a little more Spring sunshine now too. I think Edinburgh shops might be just my kind of thing, shame it's so far away, though perhaps a good thing for my purse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Cathy

    Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog, and your kind comment.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely find... And no, you are not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hurray for making your own sunshine xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool is that stamp! Perfect for your beautiful work.
    Wish you were closer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely your part of Scotland looks. I hope you find yourself well and truly settled and sorted soon. Beautiful patterns as always.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, and I always try to visit your blog in return. If you enjoyed your visit, there's more on our Facebook Page. Click on the tab just below the header picture to whiz over there!